The Petty Harbour power station is one of the oldest in Canada and one of the few that went in service at the beginning of the 20th century and are still in operation today.
A number of upgrades and renovations have been undertaken at the power plant since the original construction. In 1908 a Voight turbine manufactured in
Germany was installed and a similar unit manufactured in 1911 was installed in 1912. These turbines are still in operation. A major reconstruction was undertaken in 1926.
In 1978 the plant was entered in the Canadian Engineering Heritage Record as a model reflecting progressive adaptation to emerging technology, and remains today as one of the few plants of its type still in active service.